How can we can help them without doing that?
- encourage our child to feel good about what they can do (not what they can’t)
- ask them to “give it three tries” before we help
- add an element of fun or play
- make it easy to succeed (if the shoes keep going on the wrong foot, put a dot on the inside of each shoe so they can match it)
- give choices rather than directions (“Would you like to put away your books or your toys?”)
We really mustn’t:
- criticise, judge or ‘correct’ their efforts (children at this age really do want to please us and if we always rework their attempts they have every right to give up!)
We have to be willing to let our child make mistakes as they learn their independence.
And, if we still get a lot of resistance we may need to take a step back. Our child may need some more one-on-one time with us until their natural desire to be independent takes over again.
Lightbulb Learning Childcare is a brand new affordable daycare near Mt Wellington offering quality care and affordable education for children aged 3 months to 5 years old.
If you feel that you need a childcare centre to support your child’s great start in life, feel free to email us at email@example.com or you may call 573 5049. Come and visit us at Lightbulb Learning Childcare.
Article Source: PDHQ